Rates: Most of my fees are based on an hourly rate of $45. You’ll receive a cost estimate up front, and I will never go over that estimate without your explicit permission. (For more information about editorial rates, please see the general guidelines published by the Editorial Freelancers Association.)
Fiction and Creative Nonfiction Editing: (Please click the link to learn more about a service.)
- Coaching: Review of synopsis and outline + 1st 2500 words (about 10 double-spaced pages) $135 [You will also receive a 10% discount on future services for this project. For example, if you receive coaching on a budding novel and later decide to pursue a manuscript evaluation or editing, the cost of the evaluation or edit will be reduced by 10%.]
- Manuscript Reading: While this is certainly not required, some clients like for the editor to read an entire manuscript before making recommendations on whether developmental editing, line editing, or copyediting is needed. $0.006 per word (about $1.50 per double-spaced page) [You will also receive a 10% discount on future services for this project. For example, if you invest in a manuscript reading and then decide to pursue editing, the cost of the edit will be reduced by 10%.]
- Manuscript Evaluation: $0.009 per word ($2.25 per double-spaced page) [You will also receive a 10% discount on future services for this project. For example, if you invest in a manuscript evaluation and then decide to pursue editing, the cost of the edit will be reduced by 10%.]
- Developmental Editing: $45 per hour, up to $0.03 per word ($7.50 per double-spaced page)
- Line Editing: I always review a manuscript twice during an edit. $0.018 per word (about $4.50 per 250-word page) After a line edit, you’re likely to need a final round of basic editing or proofreading after you’ve reviewed my recommended changes and made your final revisions. (Many authors use a proofreading service for this.) If I provide line editing for your project, you can add a final light copyedit for a discounted rate of $0.009 per word (about $2.25 per double-spaced page).
- Light Copyediting: $.0125 per word (about $3.125 per double-spaced page).
If your editing needs don’t fit into any of the services described above, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) to develop a plan that fits your needs and your budget.
Academic Editing: Special student rate (reduced by 50%): $20 per hour. Please contact me for an estimate of how long it will take me to complete your project.
Policies & Procedures:
- Before committing to developmental editing, line editing, or copyediting, I usually ask to review two or three chapters (around 5000 words) from different sections of your manuscript or research project. This will help me understand the scope of your project and your editing needs. In most cases, I will provide a free sample edit of around 1000 words (about 4 double-spaced pages) to demonstrate the type of editing I recommend, give you a sense of my editorial style, and help you decide whether I’m a good fit for you as an editor.
- As we discuss the prospect of working together, it’s likely that you’re evaluating several other editors as well. This is completely understandable. I only ask that you let me know you’re talking to other editors and tell me as soon as possible if you decide to work with someone else. And feel free to request a free sample edit (as described above) to help you determine whether I’m a good fit for you.
- After we agree upon an estimate or flat fee, I require a 25% nonrefundable deposit to reserve your spot on my editorial calendar.
- I will also email you a letter outlining what we’ve agreed to. Feel free to talk to me about any questions you have or any changes you would like to make to the letter of agreement before paying the deposit.
- After we’ve scheduled your edit, I will send you a packet of information for new clients, including information on self-publishing and marketing your book. (Available by January 1, 2018)
- When I receive your manuscript, on the agreed-upon date, I’ll ask for an additional 25% before I begin editing.
- The remainder is payable within 30 days after the work is completed. During that 30 days, I encourage you to review my edits and let me know of any questions or concerns.
- For most of us, hiring a professional editor is a significant investment. In some cases, I offer alternative payment plans.
- I work electronically, making corrections, suggested revisions, and comments with the Track Changes feature in Microsoft Word. This will be explained to you in the information packet.
- At any stage of editing, I request that the author take a hiatus from working on the manuscript while it’s being edited; my feedback will be based on the version provided to me.