Line editing is also called substantive copyediting.
I provide a free sample edit of around 1000 words (4 double-spaced pages). This will give me a better sense of your editing needs and help you decide whether I’m a good fit for for you.
While editing, I analyze the organization of each sentence and paragraph. (Organization on a broader scale involves developmental editing).
- I highlight the strengths of your work.
- I analyze sentence structure and rhythm and ensure that each paragraph flows smoothly.
- I offer suggestions on clarity, conciseness, and consistency.
- I make recommendations on word choice and avoiding repetitive or overused words.
I make these revisions while preserving the meaning, voice, and style of the manuscript. I also thoroughly edit for mechanical issues, including:
- sentence structure
- word usage
- consistency in presentation of numbers, hyphenation, and abbreviations
I also provide an editorial letter highlighting some of the strengths of your manuscript and discussing my recommended revisions.