I provide a flexible range of coaching, critiquing, and editing services. The type of editing that will meet your needs depends largely upon the stage you’ve reached in the writing process.
For an editing project, I usually ask to review the full manuscript before we decide upon a specific fee. At that time, I offer a free sample edit (around 1000 words/4 double-spaced pages) to demonstrate the type of editing I recommend and help you decide whether I am a good fit for you. After the sample edit, I’ll provide an estimated fee based on the rates below.
- Review of synopsis and/or outline + 1st 5000 words (about 20 double-spaced pages) – $150
- Review of synopsis and/or outline + 1st 7500 words (about 30 double-spaced pages) – $175
- Review of synopsis and/or outline + 1st 10,000 words (about 40 double-spaced pages) – $250
Manuscript Evaluation: from $0.008 per word ($2.00 per 250-word page)
If you decide to pursue developmental or line editing after the manuscript evaluation, a 10% discount will be applied to the cost of that service.
Developmental Editing: from $0.03 per word ($7.50 per 250-word page)
Line Editing & Copyediting: from $0.015 per word ($3.75 per 250-word page)
After a line edit, I recommend a final round of basic editing or proofreading after you have reviewed and accepted or rejected my recommended changes. You can add this to your line editing project for an additional $0.00625 per word.
For example, if your manuscript is 100,000 words, the charge for line editing would be around $1500 (100K x $0.015 per word). After you’ve reviewed my line edits and made final changes to your manuscript, the final copyedit, to polish your work before submission or publication, would be $625. So the total fee would be about $2125.
I also provide basic copyediting of manuscripts that have been line edited by other editors, starting at $0.01 per word.
- Starter Edit – 2500 words (approximately 10 double-spaced pages) – $30 ($3 per page)
- Starter Edit – 6250 words (approximately 25 double-spaced pages) – $75 ($3 per page)
- Starter Edit – 12,500 words (approximately 50 double-spaced pages) – $125 ($2.50 per page)
Starter Edit/Manuscript Evaluation Packages:
- Evaluation of Full Manuscript + Starter Edit – 2500 words (approximately 10 double-spaced pages) – $25 + $1.00 per 250-word page
- Evaluation of Full Manuscript + Starter Edit – 6250 words (approximately 25 double-spaced pages) – $60 + $1.00 per 250-word page (250 words)
- Evaluation of Full Manuscript + Starter Edit – 12,500 words (approximately 50 double-spaced pages) – $100 + $1.00 per 250-word page (250 words)
You will always receive an estimate up front, and I will never go over that estimate without your explicit permission.
Policies & Procedures:
I require a signed letter of agreement and a 10% nonrefundable deposit to reserve your spot on my editorial calendar and an additional 40% before I begin editing. The remainder is payable within 30 days after the work is completed. During that 30 days, I encourage you to review my edits and let me know of any questions or concerns.
In some cases, I offer alternative payment plans.
I work electronically, making corrections, suggested revisions, and comments with the Track Changes feature in Microsoft Word. At any stage of editing, I request that the author take a hiatus from working on the manuscript while it is being edited; my feedback will be based on the version provided to me.