The type of coaching or editing you need depends largely on where you are in the writing and editing process. If you’re unsure what level of editing you need—or what services would best meet your needs—I can help.
Not finished with your manuscript—and seeking some support and guidance?
- Coaching: I analyze the beginning of your first draft, along with your outline and synopsis. I offer feedback and direction on how to make your story stronger as you finish your novel. [More Detail/Rates & Policies]
Finished with your manuscript?
- Manuscript Evaluation (Professional Critique): This is a detailed critique exploring “big picture” issues such as characterization, point of view, plot, pacing, world building, dialogue, and use of descriptive detail. Unlike a developmental edit, this doesn’t include any specific feedback or revisions in the manuscript. [More Detail/Rates & Policies]
- Developmental (Structural) Editing: This analyzes the manuscript as a whole, exploring “big picture” issues such as characterization, point of view, plot, pacing, world building, dialogue, and use of descriptive detail. In addition to an editorial letter, similar to the one provided in a manuscript evaluation, specific suggestions and revisions are offered throughout the manuscript. [More Detail/Rates & Policies]
Finished a manuscript evaluation or developmental edit? (Or you’ve workshopped your book or received feedback from beta readers, and don’t need a manuscript evaluation or developmental edit?)
- Line Editing (Substantive Copyediting): This analyzes the manuscript at the sentence and paragraph level, offering recommendations on flow, rhythm, pacing, clarity, sentence structure, word choice, dialogue, use of descriptive detail, and other elements of the manuscript. Line editing focuses on individual sentences and paragraphs. Unlike developmental editing and manuscript evaluation, this does not involve reorganizing the manuscript, reshaping the plot, or extensively refining character development, although I might make occasional recommendations on how a particular sentence or paragraph could enrich these elements of your story. [More Detail/Rates & Policies]
Finished developmental editing or line editing?
- Copyediting (Proofreading): This focuses on technical issues including grammar, spelling, punctuation, style, and consistency. [More Detail/Rates & Policies]
Am I the Right Editor for You?
Let’s Find Out.